Monday, March 23, 2009

The Science and Art of a Process

The Science and Art of a Process

Very rarely do I discuss any part of my family life in this venue, but in this case it is relevant.
This school year, I am my son's primary "learning coach" - i.e.: his school teacher for 40% of the time on paper, and for 75% of the time in reality. That is correct, I spend about 30 hours per week teaching elementary education. What is paramount here is the lesson I had to reinforce for myself: Follow a consistent process.
You would likely find that every one of the DMMI Associates LLC clients would tell you that I not only endorse following a process in any business function, I preach it. So, upon discovering that my child was continually having trouble building his skills to the next level, PROCESS had to be brought into the mix.
He kept telling me that "math is hard." The parallel, "My company and its problems are different."
Another frequent cop out was "oh, we did that last week (and I don't remember)." The parallel here, "We don't know how Jim did that, we never wrote it down so that we could do it the same way again!"
Finally, I had to just stop and say, "Look kiddo, none of this is hard. Math is the same. The basics do not change. To solve these problems, just do all the steps. Follow the process." This process-oriented approach is working for him.

So, do you think having a better process -- or two -- may help your business get to the next level?
E-mail us to get started.